Mung bean and Shan Yao soup
This soup is great for clearing heat, calms the mind in the summer. In addition, it's great for balancing blood sugar.
200 g of mung beans,
200 g of fresh Shan Yao (Chinese Yam)
2000 ml of water.
#healingsoup, #mungbean, #shanyao, #clearingheat, #summersoup, #prediabetes, #diabetes
Pork rib bone about 2 pounds
Chinese Yam (Huai Shan 淮山) about 2 pounds,
Jujube red dates 20 pieces,
Euryale Seeds(Foxnut 芡實) 2-5 g,
goji berries (枸杞子) 2-5 g,
1. Soak the berries in advance and then wash them for later use;
2. Wash the pork bones - cook in a pot under cold water, cook over medium heat until impurities emerge, then scoop up and wash for later use;
3. Peel and cut the fresh Huai shan, wash it, and soak it in cold/ice water for later use;
4. Peel and slice the ginger for later use;
5. Put the pork bones, qian shi, ginger and red dates into the pot, fill the water until the soup is covered, boil until the water boils, and continue to boil over high heat, while removing the surface foam;
6. Then cover the pot and cook over low heat for 30 minutes;
7. Add huai shan, turn to high heat and boil, then turn to low heat and boil for one hour;
8. Add the goji berries, turn to medium-high heat and simmer for about 2 minutes;
9. Add salt to taste.
Turn off the heat, remove the excess grease, and enjoy the soup!
Here is a delicious vegetarian or vegan stock great for making noodle soups.
Dried or fresh mushrooms
- best use dried shiitakes 幹花菇 for making soup stock
- fresh mushroom crimini 克里米尼蘑菇 or shiitake
- onion skins and butts
- parsley stems
- veggie scraps
Kombu 昆布 - a 6" piece
Peeled garlic cloves: 4 large
Fish (optional) - 4 large dried anchovies
ratio of water is 1lb. fresh mushrooms or 2 cups dried shiitake to 2 quarts water
- Bring everything up to a boil together
- Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until the dried mushrooms and kombu have plumped and the stock is deeply brown from its mushroom infusion
- Cool to room temperature
- Strain the stock through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl
- Season with salt, soy sauce, and a dash of fish sauce (optional)
This soup recipe moistens the Lung, tonify the Stomach and Ying, and prevent drying in the autumn. Most ingredients in this soup are white, which is associated with the Lung organ system in Chinese medicine. This soup gently nourishes the Lungs, Stomach, and Spleen, benefits the Ying, and moistens. However, this soup is not for people who have cold and deficient Stomach and Spleen.
Lotus roots 蓮藕 500g
Water chestnuts 鮮水馬蹄 8
Fresh lily bulb 鮮百合15g
Sugar dates 甜棗 1
Aged tangerine peel 陳皮1
Water 水 2 liters
Salt to taste
Good for 3-4 people
#lotusroots, #waterchestnut, #lilybulb, #healingsoup, #healingsoups, #Lungs, #autumnsoups, #moistening
Summer time is hot. Lots of people feel hot and thirsty. At night time, many people feel so hot that they can’t sleep or they sleep with lots of vivid dreams. This soup is excellent calming the spirit and cooling the body for a restful sleep. Each ingredient has its added benefits. Mung bean has the functions of lowering blood fat, lowering cholesterol, reducing swelling, and protecting liver and kidney. Job’s tear has the effects of whitening and weight loss, as well as reducing swelling, expel pus, and diuresis. Lotus seeds are beneficial nourishing the Heart, Kidneys and Spleen. The Spleen relieves diarrhea, strengthens essence and calms the nerves.
I hope you enjoy this dessert soup. Here is what you need and how to make it.
#mungbean, #jujubedates, #yiyiren, #jobstear, #lotusseed, #clearheat, #calmspirit, #detox, #restfulsleep, #healingsoup, #drtaotcm,
This sweet paste soup benefits the brain, stops cough and calms wheezing, moistens the intestines to unblocks the bowels.
1. Sweet Chinese Apricot seeds (南杏) 45g
2. Bitter Chinese apricot seeds (北杏)15g
3. Sweet glutinous rice (糯米) 20g
4. Walnut, He Tao Ren (核桃) 10g
5. Rock sugar (冰糖)
#Walnut, #ChinesApricotSeeds, #BoostBrainFunction, #BenefitLungs, #HealingSoup, #HealingSoups, #drtaotcm, #taoacupunture
Burdock roots is a powerhouse of antioxidants, removes toxins from the blood, may inhibit some types of cancer, and can help treat skin issues (Healthline.com).
Chinese yam tonifies the Spleen, nourishes Stomach Yin and stops diarrhea, Lung Qi and nourishes Lung Yin, and Kidney Yin and astringes Jing.
Here is a soup use both Shan Yao and Nu Bang. Enjoy.
Pork rib or any meat choice or substitute with shiitake mushrooms 500g
Shan Yao 山藥 (Chinese yam) 15 cm long
Corn shoots (玉米筍, baby corn) 3 to 4
Nu bang (牛蒡, Burdock) 1/4 of the root
Water 1 liter (can be less, as long as cover all ingredients)
Salt for seasoning
1. Blanch the pork rib in boiling water
2. Slice the burdock root into small slices
3. Cut Chinese yam into big trunks
4. Boil the burdock root slices with pork rib for 10 minutes
5. Add the Chinese yam and corn shoots
6. Bring to a boil and simmer for 8 minutes
7. Add salt to season and enjoy!
#nubang, #shanyao, #healingsoup, #Chineseyam, #burdockroot, #detoxBlood, #detox, #tonifyLung, #tonifyKidney, #tonifySpleen, #skin
This tea is delicious with health benefit for you.
Cinnamon helps to regulate blood sugar. Jujube dates move Qi and Blood in Chinese medicine. In addition, dates have plenty of vitamin C, iron, and calcium. Fresh ginger warms and circulates Qi in the middle, calms a restless fetus, and treats morning sickness. Fresh ginger also helps relieve the common cold, coughing, and loss of appetite. With black sugar added, this tea also helps alleviate colds, indigestion, nausea, and menstrual pain.
To make this tea you will need the following:
20 dried jujube dates
small amount of ginger
2 cups of water
1 cinnamon stick
small amount of black sugar (honey, or brown sugar)
- you can make it as spicy or as sweet as you like by adjusting the amount of ingredients or cooking time.
- cinnamon stick and black sugar are optional
- add a poached egg for added protein
1. Wash jujubes in cold water, rub them with both hands to remove any dirt. Drain.
2. Slice the jujube dates into small pieces to remove the pits.
3. Slice ginger thinly.
4. Add ginger, cinnamon stick, and water.
5. Bring it to a rolling boiling.
6. Cover and cook over medium low heat for 30 to 60 minutes (the longer you cook it sweeter it gets). You may have to crack the lid because it will easily boil over.
7. You can mash the jujube date for pulps or just eat the dates with the tea.
8. Enjoy the tea while it's warm!
#jujubedate, #healingsoup, #menstrualcramp, #type2diabetes, #ginger, #blacksugar, #calmfetus, #fightcommoncold
A nutritious twist to boring oatmeal breakfast.
250g of purple yam
50g of millet
50g of oatmeal
1. Wash purple yam, peel skin, cut into small pieces
2. Wash millet (and rice if not use oatmeal)
3. Put purple yam and millet in a pot
4. Add water to cover yam and millet
5. Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes
6. Add oatmeal and simmer for another 10 minutes
Oatmeal can be replaced by rice. Add rice with purple yam and millet together. Simmer for 30 minutes with stir.
, #Spiced Ginger Chai Tea to warm up this winter
Makes 4 servings
- 1/4 inch piece of ginger (grated)
- 3 cardamom pods (take out the seeds & crush the seeds)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla bean (or good quality paste)
- 4 cups of water
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar, or honey or maple syrup (optional)
- 3 tea bags, preferably strong black tea such as Assam
- 1 cup of half-and-half
1. Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a saucepan or small pot. As the water heats up, add the ginger, cardamom and, if using, brown sugar.
2. Once water has reached a boil, reduce to medium-low heat so it simmers with gentle bubbles. Add the tea bags and half-and-half.
Using tea bags simplifies the process.
3. Let the liquid slowly come to a boil once again, then remove from heat.
4. Remove tea bags and carefully pour tea into teapot or cups.
#healingsoup, #drtaotcm, #ginger, #spice, #wintersolstice, #chai, #taoacupuncture, #cardamon, #cinnamon,
Fresh Chinese Yam (Xian Huai Shan 鮮淮山) and goji berry porridge for the win!
white rice 白米 120g
fresh Chinese Yam (xian huai shan) 鮮淮山 about 400 g ( or your desired amount)
goji berries 杞子40g
1. rinse the rice and soak for 30 minutes
2. rinse the goji berries
3. rinse the fresh Chinese yam, peel the skin, cut into small 1/2 inch pieces
4. bring 1 liter of water to boil in high heat
5. add rice and fresh Chinese yam and stir to mix
6. bring it back to boiling then simmer in low to medium heat for an hour
7. stir a few times to prevent the porridge sticking to the bottom
8. add goji berries and simmer for another 10 minutes
9. season to taste, enjoy while its warm
black sesame seeds, scallion, jujube dates, sliced Shiitake mushrooms, meat options of sliced pork or beef, marinated chicken, seafood options like scallops, fish fillets, other veggies like diced potato, carrots...
Are you tired all the time? Try this soup:
1. Bean sprouts 50 g
2. Carrots 100 g
3. Pork ribs 100g
4. Sea kelp 50 g
Herbs not in bag:
5. Gou ji 枸杞 10 g
6. Jujube dates 紅棗 3 (Add more is okay, I usually add a fistful)
Herbs in bag:
7. Huang Qi 黃耆 10 g
8. Dang Gui 當歸 5 g
This soup strengthens the Spleen to maintain healthy! It's called Drunken Chicken Soup! This soup helps tonify Qi and Blood, disperses stagnation, warms the Yang and disperses coldness.
#DrunkenChicken, #tonify, #SpleenHealth, #strengthenSP, #RiceWine, #GuiZhi, #Ginseng, #ShuDiHuang, #GouQi, #DangShen, #HuangQi, #HealingSoup
• 1 whole chicken
• 1400 cc (1400 ml) rice wine
• 10 g (0.4 oz) cinnamon twigs (Gui Zhi)
• 3 g (0.1 oz) tangkuei (Ginseng)
• 3 g (0.1 oz) cnidium (she chuang zi)
• 3 g (0.1 oz) rehmannia (cooked) (Shu Di Huang)
• 30 pieces (0.1 oz) jujube (red)
• 10 g (0.4 oz) lyceum (Gou Qi)
• 5 g (0.2 oz) codonopsis (Dang Shen)
• 10 g (0.4 oz) astragalus (Huang Qi)
• 3 g (0.1oz) licorice (Gan Chao)
• Remove giblets from cavity of chicken. Wash the chicken thoroughly.
• Chop into 3 inch pieces with bone in.
• Place chicken pieces in a deep stainless steel pan (do not use Teflon-coated pans).Add the rice wine and all of the herbs. Cover with a lid.
• Bring to a boil. Uncover the pan and ignite the alcohol vapor and wait for the fire to extinguish on its wn.
• Cook over medium flame for 30 minutes or until jujube softens.
• Serve hot.
(serves 2 - 3 people)
This recipe is excellent for winter or people with anemia. #anemia, #HuangQi, #beef, #WinterSoup, #JujubeDates, #BlackBean
Beef shank (cubed) 500 g (replace with pork or chicken or shiitake mushrooms; if preferred)
Dried red dates 20 g ( sliced, halved, de-pitted)
Black beans 60g (soaked)
Huang Qi 30g (rinsed)
Ginger (optional) 3-4 thinly sliced pieces
Cold water 6 cups
黑芝麻糊 Black Sesame Sweet Dessert
Ingredients (for 3-4 servings):
黑芝麻 Black sesame, 500g
糯米粉 Glutinous rice flour, 200g
核桃仁 Walnuts, whole pieces, 60g
紅糖 Muscovado sugar, (substitute with 冰糖 naturally crystalized sugar or honey if preferred)
粗海鹽 Coarse sea salt, a pinch
1. Place the black sesame seeds under direct sunlights in a place with good airflow for 3 days before use. Move indoors after sunset.
2. Dry stir-fry the sesame seeds on medium-low heat until aromatic. Place in a wide container to cool.
3. Dry stir-fry glutinous rice flour on medium-low heat until turned slightly yellowish white, Place in a wide container to cool.
4. Bake the walnuts in the oven on 300 F for 10 mins, chop them finely when cooled.
5. Blend sesame seeds and rice flour in a food processor until turned into a fine powder mixture.
6. Place 2-4 tbsps of the powder mixture into boiling water (on low heat), keep churning to prevent caking at the bottom, until big bubbles start to form. Keep cooking & churning until the texture is thick and creamy.
7. Add crushed walnuts, sugar/honey, and salt after removed from heat.
Usage: Can be consumed daily. Great for treating general deficiency cold, dry skin, brittle nails & hair, pre-mature hair graying or hair loss, poor memory, cold extremities, constipation, emaciation. This recipe moisturizes Yin and tonifies Yang, benefits the Liver and nourishes the Blood.
Be caution about nut allergies.
#blacksesame, #healingsoup,#hairhealth, #hairchine, #tonify, #TCM, #ChineseMedicine, #optimalhealth, #FoodIsMedicine
December 21, 2020 -- winter solstice or dong zhi (冬至).
Traditionally, the Dongzhi Festival is also a time for the family to get together. One activity that occurs during these get-togethers (especially in the southern parts of China and in Chinese communities overseas) is the making and eating of tang yuan (湯圓) or balls of glutinous rice, which symbolize reunion.
Tang yuan are made of glutinous rice flour and are sometimes brightly colored. Each family member receives at least one large tang yuan in addition to several small ones. The flour balls are occasionally pink or green. They are cooked in a sweet soup or savory broth with both the ball and the soup/broth served in one bowl. Cantonese families like to add ginger to the broth as well.
Prepare the filling
#WinterSolstice, #DongZhi, #HealingSoups, #TangYuan, #drtaotcm
Li Dong 立冬, begins today 11/07/2020 ends on 11/21/2020, signifies the beginning of winter in East Asian cultures.
Here is a nourishing porridge for everyone to try.
小米 Millet, 30g
紅米 Red rice, 20g
懷山藥 Huai Shan Yao, 5 slices
茯苓 Fu Ling, 3g
胡蘿蔔 Carrot, 6 slices
小白菜 Bok choy, 6 split stalks
白扁豆(炒) White Hyacinth Beans, dry-stir fried, 3g
落花生 Peanuts (remove hard husk, keep soft husk), 6 pieces
大棗 Jujube, 1 piece
蓮子帶芯 Lotus seeds, with plumule, 3g
小黃薑 Small yellow ginger, 3 slices
Boil the ingredients on high heat until water is boiling, switch to low heat and slow cook until the beans and seeds are thoroughly cooked and softened.
#healingsoups, #lidong, #porridge, #millet, #Seasons, #SeasonsofEstablishmentofWinter, #jujubedate, #fuling
Blood detox juice drink
Orange juice 900 ml,
Grapefruit juice 900 ml,
Lemon juice 200 ml,
distilled water 2 L.
Mix juices with distilled water, drink all 4L of fluid during the day.
Peels of fruits may be stored in fridge for future medicinal use. For example digestive tea which stops nausea and vomit during pregnancy has
20g of peels of grapefruit,
20g of fresh ginger
20g of radish
boiled in 1/2 L of water for 15 min.
#detox, #blooddetox, #digestivetea, #pregnancynausea, #vomit
This post is about 絲瓜 Luffa cylindrica, the sponge gourd, Egyptian cucumber, or Vietnamese luffa. It is an annual species of vine cultivated for its fruit, native to South and Southeast Asia.
This recipe is inspired by Master Tung’s family dietary recipes published in 1973. Master Tung's direct disciple Dr. Wei-Chieh Young also included Master Tung’s recipes in his book called Yang Sheng Shi Liao Bao Dian 《養生食療寶典》.
#mastertung, #mastertungdietaryrecipes, #leucorrhoea, #menorrhagia, #healingsoup, #healingsoups, #silkychicken, #silkiechicken, #spongegourd, #絲瓜，#烏雞， #烏骨雞
《本草綱目》甘， 涼， 入肝，胃經
From Ben Cao Gang Mu: Sponge gourd is sweet and cool, enter Liver and Stomach channels
Master Tung's recipe:
絲瓜半斤， 白糖一兩煎水服， 治女人月經過多及血崩.
For menorrhagia drink sponge gourd 250g with white sugar 37.8g decoction.
There is no information about how much water is added to the decoction or how long to cook it. In general, add enough water to cover the sponge gourd and cook it until it is soft. Since sponge gourd is cooling, this recipe is for heat in the blood type of menorrhagia.
Dr. Wei-Chieh Young’s recipe:
烏骨雞絲瓜湯： 烏骨雞一隻， 去骨取肉，絲瓜半條， 共煮熟， 分二至三次吃肉喝湯，烏骨雞能養陰血， 退虛熱，專治婦女崩漏帶下；絲瓜涼血清熱，亦治崩漏，可隔天食用，連續食用三至五隻雞。
Silky chicken and sponge gourd soup: one boneless silky chicken, half of a loofah, cooked together, eat the meat and drink the soup separate into two to three servings.
The silky chicken can nourish the yin and blood, relieve deficiency heat, and treat women’s menorrhagia or leukorrhea; sponge gourd cools the blood and clear heat, also treats menorrhagia.
Silky chicken and sponge gourd soup can be consumed every other day, continuous consumption of three to five chickens as a course.
For general daily consumption of silky chicken and sponge gourd soup, one can add scallion, garlic, ginger, salt, and cooking wine as seasonings.
A classic soup for Autumn to enhance immunity, calm the mind for restful sleep, nourish yin and reduce deficient heat, moisten the Lung and prevent dry cough.
Ginseng Hai Zhu Mai Dong Tang 花旗參海竹麥冬湯
This soup is for 4 servings:
#healingsoup, #restfulsleep, #preventcough, #moistenthelung, #calmthemind, #nourishyin
oThinning hair? Grey hair? Try this herbal soup.
Shu Di 30g, Black beans 25g, Goji berries 15g, lean pork meat 500g
1. Rinse black beans, soak for an hour
2. To 8 bowls of water in a coocking pot, add the black beans, and cook for 30 minutes
3. Add the Shu Di, Goji berries and pork meat to the pot
4. Bring to a boil then simmer for an hour until 2 bowls of water left
5. Season the soup (optional) and serve warm
Drink 2 times per week.
Caution: depends on body constitution, herbs should be modified accordingly. Ask an herbalist or an acupuncturist.
Shu Di, black beans and goji berries all tonify the Kidney.
#tonify, #shudiforgreyhair, #blackbeanforgreyhair, #shudiandblackbean, #shudiforthinninghair, #thinninghairherbalsoup, #herbalsoupforhair,
More mushroom soups: #healingsoup, #medicinalfungi, #immuneboosting, #cordyceps, #tonic
This one features three different fungi.
2) Cordyceps fruiting body (蟲草花).
For those people who suffer seasonal allergies with cough symptoms, add Cordyceps fruiting body to soup as a tonic. It helps to moisten the throat, and is beneficial for emphysema and bronchitis. Other benefits: improve cardiovascular disease, anti-aging, and helps reduce fatigue.
3)Wood ear or black fungus (木耳)
It is an edible fungus that commonly used in Chinese cuisine. The fresh wood ear is in dark brown or black, soft and crunchy in texture, with a very subtle grassy flavor. It uses in cooking mainly to add texture. Wood ear should never be eaten raw, since it might contains bacteria.
For four servings:
Agaricus blazei Murill mushroom (姫茸菇) 15
Cordyceps fruiting body (蟲草花) 1g
foxnut (茨實) 1 g
Wood ear (木耳) 3 large pieces
Dried Longan fruit (圓肉) 15
Candied Chinese date (蜜棗) 2
ginger (薑) 2 large pieces
Chicken (雞) 1/2 -- can be blanched first
water (水) 2000 ml
Yi Mu Cao Chicken soup for female menstrual pain #menstrualpain, #lochia, #postpartumlochia, #yimucao
This soup is for females who having cold dislodged in the uterus causing pain during the #menstrual bleed. Young ladies who like to eat or drink cold food and beverage causing #pain during the end of a menstrual bleed. The menstrual bleed may be scanty, and light in color. This soup is excellent for increasing chances for fertility. This soup also relief postpartum #lochia.
Yi Mu Cao (#Motherwort, 益母草): invigorates the Blood, dispels stasis, regulates menstruation, and reduces masses. It promotes urination, reduces swelling, and edema, such as acute edema hematuria. It also clears heat and resolves toxicity internally or topically for sores or abscesses.
1. Yi mu cao 60 g
2. Chicken 600 g (normal chicken or silken chicken)
3. Sesame oil
4. Ginger 1 inch and cut into slices
5. Gou qi berries (optional)
btw, If you ever hike the mountains in California, you would easily spot this herb.
sang ju cha 桑菊茶 Mulberry Chrysanthemum tea for cooling during summer
2 and 1/2 litre of water
25 g dried chrysanthemum flowers
20 mulberry leaves
6 dates (jujube dates)
10 g wolfberries (Goji)
Boil the water with the Mulberry leaves and dates for about 90 minutes on medium flame.
Smash the dates to bring out the flavour.
Rinse and add in the dried chrysanthemum flowers.
Bring to a light boil for about 10 mins.
Turn off heat.
Toss in some wolfberries (goji berries) before serving.
Be careful when purchasing chrysanthemum flowers. Some of them are treated with sulfur as a preservative. When brewing these sulfur treated chrysanthemum flowers, the water turns greenish yellow. It is not good quality. Make sure to purchase organic, no sulfur treated chrysanthemum flowers.
Kumquat ginger tea -- cures a cough and soothes the throat #cough, #sorethroat, #kumquat, #ginger
2 cups purified water
5 ginger slices
10 thinly sliced kumquat
1-2 Tsp honey
Bring water to boil on the stove
Add ginger, let simmer for 20 min
Add kumquat, let simmer for another 5 min
Add honey to taste, approximately 2 Tsp
Let Dr. Tao help you achieve optimum health and wellness with every day food.